If you are a people person, enjoy helping out others and solving their problems and are ready to learn about new products or services, but you would like to do it from home, check out this Convergys work-at-home review. A majority of their at home positions are for customer service and sales & service. I’ve heard that there are also technical support home positions, but have not seen one myself.
Company Name: ConvergysWebsite: http://www.convergys.com/
Introduction to Convergys:
Convergys is a call center company that that prides itself in offering its customer management services to many of the top 50 Fortune 500 companies. The company, though based in Cincinnati, provides jobs in North America, South America, Europe, Africa, UAE and South East Asia, now that they are in the process of merging with Stream. They offer work-at-home positions for some of their different projects in the United States.
Convergys does have a lot of things going for them. Many employees have been happy working with the group for years. Some of the good things about working from home for Convergys include:
- You’re a real employee – you can have benefits, insurance, paid time off and retirement
- Commissions on sales – they do pay out commissions for some of the sales projects, but each project is different
- When available, it is possible to work overtime if you desire
- The training is paid training and you can do it from home
- Though there may be some background checks, you are not required to pay for any of them
- Your phone line is not blocked as all customer related calls come through your internet connection via VOIP
- They have an Employee Discount Program which offers deep discounts from name brand merchants. For work-at-home agents, this may also include Business Class Internet service to your home depending on the availability of preferred providers in your area
Unfortunately, just like any other company, there are some issues that pop up that need to be taken into consideration before going to work for Convergys. Some of these include:
- You are required to be available 7 days a week and scheduling choices are limited, especially in the beginning
- Reported computer issues: Some agents report that the software and flash drives that Convergys requires you to use freeze up your computer
- High internet speed requirements: Since Convergys operates on a VOIP line, they do have high requirements for your internet connection. For some, this may be an issue that simply cannot be overcome.
- You cannot use Wi-Fi for work – all your equipment needs to be hard-wired
- Apple/Mac, Chromebook, & Android systems are not compatible with their systems
- No one on your computer network (i.e. using the same internet connection) can use the internet for non-work related purpose during your working hours – this includes web usage, media streaming and gaming
- Convergys does not hire in all states
Convergys provides services to various businesses both from their call centers as well as through their home based telecommuting positions. They have many different projects running that are both inbound and outbound telecommuting positions. The majority of projects available for work-at-home positions are in their sales & service and customer service departments.
How do you join Convergys?
Getting started with Convergys is a pretty easy process. You can initially join their talent network at http://careers.convergys.com/home-agent.php by clicking on the button that says “Join Our Talent Network.” You can find out the available home based positions here and then actually submit an application if you find something that suits your needs.
From there you will receive phone call from a member of the Convergys recruiter team who will help you complete your full application – there are some internet tests and additional steps that you have to complete prior to starting work with the Convergys. If you qualify, the recruiter will discuss the best position for you based on your answers to the questions during the application process, your qualifications and your experience.
Who Is Convergys For?
If you’re someone who wants a work-at-home career option and you have the ability to not require a set schedule, then Convergys could be a great fit for you.
As most of the telecommuting positions are in sales and support, you also need to:
- be personable
- have the patience to deal with customer needs whether or not they are happy with you
- have previous sales & support or customer support experience
- be computer savvy and able to operate several applications at once
If you need more flexibility in your schedule, or you don’t have the experience that Convergys requires, then you will want to look into other opportunities.
Payment from Convergys:
Since you are working as an actual employee, you will be paid just as you would at any other job. The wages are hourly with employee benefits. Some positions qualify for performance based incentives on top of the hourly wage.
Expect to be paid every week or every other week, depending the project you’re assigned to. You receive payments via direct deposit to your bank account.
All training at Convergys is paid training. The training for work-at-home employees is virtual. The training schedule varies from project to project however and the duration of training will depend upon which project you are assigned to. You will find out more about training times and details during the application process. There are mixed reviews about the quality of the training – some agents have said that Convergys offers some of the best training in the business and others don’t feel that way at all.
Support at Convergys:
A lot of agents report that there is more than enough support offered via phone, live chat, and email. Also, unlike most work-at-home companies, you are working as an employee and will have an immediate supervisor assigned to you.
Educational Qualifications and Skills Needed:
Minimally you need:
- A high school diploma or GED
- One year experience in either sales or customer service
You also need to have:
- Problem solving skills
- Good communication skills
- A home office space that is quiet and distraction free
- A PC/laptop that is less than six years old
- A (minimum) 17” monitor capable of 1024 x 768
- High speed internet
- Router directly wired to PC/laptop
- Telephone (landline or cell) with mute button (only for training, team calls and technical support)
To see a full list of all the technical requirements, go to http://careers.convergys.com/home-agent.php and click on “Requirements.”
My Final Opinion:
I have mixed opinions about working for Convergys. The reviews about time off, benefits and training were mixed – both good and not so good. Also the requirement of being available 7 days a week for scheduling is not very practical. Of course you don’t work 7 days a week, and once they have sent you your weekly schedule, you know when you will be free. But still the fact that you may have to work weekends when everyone else is home, may prove difficult.
If you are looking for a legitimate company to work for that will offer possible overtime and pay with benefits, this is a good company to work for. If you need to have a lot more flexibility with your scheduling, or you don’t have enough sales or customer service experience, then you may want to look for other opportunities.
Verdict: It is a legitimate job, but it is not anywhere or anytime.
Have you had any experiences with Convergys? If you have feel free to share them below. And if you have any questions, just ask!