Do you love writing? Do you blog for fun? Are you a lover of words and the English language?
Did you know you can harness your love of writing to power a lucrative career?
This 30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success review delves into Gina Horkey’s successful debut course that teaches students how to launch their own freelance writing business, starting from scratch. If you are interested in learning how to become a freelance writer, read on to find out if this is the course for you!
Name: 30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success
Creator: Gina Horkey
What does freelance writing have to do with being a VA?
30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success is on hiatus, and Gina and the team over at Horkey Handbook have re-imagined virtual assistant training.
What does that mean for freelance writers?
Later in the year, Freelance writing will be one of the Specialty Tracks offered in the all-courses-inclusive FullyBookedVA membership program.
Not sure #FullyBookedVA is right for you? Check out this $19 mini-course, Jump Start Your Virtual Assistant Business in 4 Quick Steps, to test the waters!
Introduction to 30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success
Gina Horkey is a financial adviser turned entrepreneur and owner of horkeyhandbook.com. Gina left her high-paying corporate job to become a freelance writer in 2014. 30DOLFWS is Gina’s first course that debuted on her website shortly after she took her own freelancing business full-time.
Since then, she’s continued to keep the course updated and full of actionable information that’s designed to set students up for success.
The course is very honest about what it will take to succeed, and expects you to put in the work to see results. The good news is, the steps you need to take to be successful are very clearly outlined in the course.
- Course is self-paced and easy to navigate
- 9 modules with over 50+ lessons of actionable steps
- A list of websites to find and pitch writing clients
- Quizzes at the end of each module ensure the information is being properly absorbed
- An abundance of additional resources, trackers, and templates that are very useful to the student
- Successful students end up with either a part-time or full-time business that they can run from home and on their own schedule
- You can take action while you’re still working through the course and potentially start landing clients in under a month
- No video lessons, if you are more of an audio/visual learner
30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success Overview
30DOLFWS is designed to guide a complete beginner through the process of launching a business and landing their first client. The course is currently hosted on the Thinkific platform and is 9 modules, not including the introduction and wrap-up sections. Each module contains 6-12 lessons.
Gina leaves no stone unturned in the journey to freelancing success and covers a wide range of topics such as:
- How to lay a solid foundation for your business
- An overview of common writing niches and which ones pay the best
- How to create writing samples
- How to find and pitch for paid work
- How to write and format blog posts
- How to promote your business
The course is designed so that you should be able to complete it with all the action steps in 30 days, but many students have done it in less, while others find it takes them longer. If you follow all the action steps, you will be pitching clients before finishing the course!
Who is this course for?
30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success is for anyone who loves to write or has dreamed about becoming a freelance writer, but just doesn’t know where to start. It’s perfect for anyone who is looking for a work-at-home option that offers tons of flexibility.
There is rarely a need to hold “office hours”. Provided you are meeting assignment deadlines, you can do the work whenever you want.
It’s ideal for both the stay-at-home parent who’s looking to find a way to earn extra income or the full-time nine-to-fiver looking to find a work-from-home career.
Who isn’t it for?
This isn’t for anyone who’s looking to get rich quick or find clients without putting in the time and work. It takes time to build a business and you may need to spend some time building your writing skills.
And obviously, if you hate writing and spending long periods of time in front of a document, this course isn’t for you.
Training & Resources
The course lays out the chronological path you should follow to build a freelance writing business from scratch. It starts with building the foundation of your business and leads you through all the steps to landing your first client and beyond.
Gina really does hold your hand through the process and although the lessons are all text, her writing style is very encouraging and motivational.
At the end of every module is a quiz to make sure you’ve retained the key concepts of the training. I found the quizzes helpful but also entertaining – some of the “wrong” answers in the multiple choice questions made me chuckle!
The 9th module is a helpful list of tools that can help you build your business, including chrome extensions and organizational tools.
Students who are looking for a lot of support outside of the course material can opt into the VA Leads community through a paid subscription.
- Perseverance: You will need to pitch like crazy to land clients, especially in the beginning.
- A thick skin: You will need to handle rejection from time to time, and critiquing of your work by clients.
- Time management skills: Even though you can do the work at any time of day, there are still deadlines and you need to manage your time effectively in order to meet them. (Especially once you get several clients on the go.)
- Communication skills: You need to be able to communicate well in order for you and your client to be clear on your expectations of each other.
- Strong work ethic: You need to deliver what you say you will and provide your best work each time in order to delight/keep clients and build your business.
- Self-Editing/Proofreading: You know that simply downloading Grammarly and running spell check isn’t the be-all, end-all to proofreading your work
- Efficient typing: While not a requirement, it certainly helps you complete work faster if you can type with ease
- Researching skills: Even if you choose a niche that you already know a lot about, there’s a good chance you will need to research topics from time to time and cite your sources
- You’ll definitely need access to a computer with a high-speed internet connection
- Although you don’t need a website to be a freelance writer, having one really helps!
The cost of 30DOLFWS
30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success is currently available to buy for a one-time payment of $297 USD or three payments of $89 USD each.
Horkey Handbook has helped countless students realize their dreams of becoming a freelance writer. The course does what it says it will if you put in the effort!
The lessons are easy to understand and are broken down in such a way that it doesn’t get overwhelming at any point. It would have been nice to have some video lessons like in her other courses, but in my opinion, this is only a very small drawback.
My favorite part of the course is easily the module on pitching clients! In my opinion, this is the single most important skill that Gina teaches, and if you follow her instructions (and use the pitch tracker!) you’ll be landing paid work in no time.
Verdict: It’s a legitimate Anywhere & Anytime career.
Want more Info?
If you're a stay-at-home mom and want to learn more about if freelance writing is a good option for you, you will want to check out our interview with Gina on the subject!
You can also read our interview with Gina Horkey about becoming a virtual assistant. (Did you know that freelance writing is a type of virtual assistant work?) Lastly, you can check out our review of her other course, 30 Days or Less to Virtual Assistant success.
Do you have any questions or comments about this 30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success review? Drop us a line in the comments and we’re happy to help!