**There may be affiliate links included in the following post which means I may make a small commission if you choose to make a purchase through any of these links. You pay the same either way, so it is a win-win situation! You can read the full disclosure here.**
Do you love writing? Do you blog for fun? Are you a lover of words and the English language?
Did you know you can harness your love of writing to power a lucrative career?
This 30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success review delves into Gina Horkey’s successful debut course that teaches students how to launch their own freelance writing business, starting from scratch. If you are interested in learning how to become a freelance writer, read on to find out if this is the course for you!
Name: 30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success
Creator: Gina Horkey
Free Resources or Training: 200+ Freelance Writing Niches (and Subniches) to Choose From
[Updated March 3, 2020]
Introduction to 30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success
Gina Horkey is a financial adviser turned entrepreneur and owner of horkeyhandbook.com. Gina left her high-paying corporate job to become a freelance writer in 2014. 30DOLFWS is Gina’s first course that debuted on her website shortly after she took her own freelancing business full-time.
Since then, she’s continued to keep the course updated and full of actionable information that’s designed to set students up for success.
The course is very honest about what it will take to succeed, and expects you to put in the work to see results. The good news is, the steps you need to take to be successful are very clearly outlined in the course.
- Course is self-paced and easy to navigate
- 9 modules with over 50+ lessons of actionable steps
- A list of websites to find and pitch writing clients
- Quizzes at the end of each module ensure the information is being properly absorbed
- An abundance of additional resources, trackers, and templates that are very useful to the student
- Successful students end up with either a part-time or full-time business that they can run from home and on their own schedule
- You can take action while you’re still working through the course and potentially start landing clients in under a month
- 30-Day money-back guarantee
- Optional access to the Facebook VA Leads community
- No video lessons, if you are more of an audio/visual learner
- As a DIY course there is no support offered outside of the course material
30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success Overview
30DOLFWS is designed to guide a complete beginner through the process of launching a business and landing their first client. The course is currently hosted on the Thinkific platform and is 9 modules, not including the introduction and wrap-up sections. Each module contains 6-12 lessons.
Gina leaves no stone unturned in the journey to freelancing success and covers a wide range of topics such as:
- How to lay a solid foundation for your business
- An overview of common writing niches and which ones pay the best
- How to create writing samples
- How to find and pitch for paid work
- How to write and format blog posts
- How to promote your business
The course is designed so that you should be able to complete it with all the action steps in 30 days, but many students have done it in less, while others find it takes them longer. If you follow all the action steps, you will be pitching clients before finishing the course!
Who is this course for?
30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success is for anyone who loves to write or has dreamed about becoming a freelance writer, but just doesn’t know where to start. It’s perfect for anyone who is looking for a work-at-home option that offers tons of flexibility.
There is rarely a need to hold “office hours”. Provided you are meeting assignment deadlines, you can do the work whenever you want.
It’s ideal for both the stay-at-home parent who’s looking to find a way to earn extra income or the full-time nine-to-fiver looking to find a work-from-home career.
Who isn’t it for?
This isn’t for anyone who’s looking to get rich quick or find clients without putting in the time and work. It takes time to build a business and you may need to spend some time building your writing skills.
And obviously, if you hate writing and spending long periods of time in front of a document, this course isn’t for you.
Training & Resources
The course lays out the chronological path you should follow to build a freelance writing business from scratch. It starts with building the foundation of your business and leads you through all the steps to landing your first client and beyond.
Gina really does hold your hand through the process and although the lessons are all text, her writing style is very encouraging and motivational.
At the end of every module is a quiz to make sure you’ve retained the key concepts of the training. I found the quizzes are helpful but also entertaining – some of the “wrong” answers in the multiple-choice questions made me chuckle!
This year, Horkey Handbook added some upgrades to the course material, including more lessons that are designed to help you hone your writing skills. For example, there are now lessons on copywriting, SEO, content marketing, and a few other specialized writing niches.
These lessons are more of an overview of the basics and not super comprehensive, but they’re definitely helpful for beginners. Just keep in mind that as you niche down as a writer, you may be inclined to find additional training on these topics. (In fact, Horkey Handbook often recommends courses within the lessons if you wish to deep-dive into a certain niche.)
However, many people are successful at getting their freelance business off the ground without additional training.
The course also has a module on Hosting and WordPress, walking you through the process of setting up your first website step by step over several lessons. This is also the only module in the course that includes a few videos. I think this was smart to add since most writers will benefit from having their own website, but not many new writers will feel confident in their ability to set up their own website for the first time!
The last module is a helpful list of tools that can help you build your business, including chrome extensions, and organizational tools.
The course used to come with a free membership to a Facebook group specifically for students of the 30DOLFWS course, but sadly it was dissolved a couple of years ago.
Students who are looking for a lot of support outside of the course could take Gina’s flagship course, 30 Days or Less to Virtual Assistant Success, and then opt into the VA Leads community through a paid subscription.
- Perseverance: You will need to pitch like crazy to land clients, especially in the beginning.
- A thick skin: You will need to handle rejection from time to time, and critiquing of your work by clients.
- Time management skills: Even though you can do the work at any time of day, there are still deadlines and you need to manage your time effectively in order to meet them. (Especially once you get several clients on the go.)
- Communication skills: You need to be able to communicate well in order for you and your client to be clear on your expectations of each other.
- Strong work ethic: You need to deliver what you say you will and provide your best work each time in order to delight/keep clients and build your business.
- Self-Editing/Proofreading: You know that simply downloading Grammarly and running spell check isn’t the be-all, end-all to proofreading your work
- Efficient typing: While not a requirement, it certainly helps you complete work faster if you can type with ease
- Researching skills: Even if you choose a niche that you already know a lot about, there’s a good chance you will need to research topics from time to time and cite your sources
- You’ll definitely need access to a computer with a high-speed internet connection
- Although you don’t need a website to be a freelance writer, having one really helps!
The cost of 30DOLFWS
30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success is currently available to buy for a one-time payment of $297 USD, or 3 monthly payments of $89. The purchase does come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Horkey Handbook has also opened up its Facebook community VA Leads as an option to students of the 30DOLFWS course, which was previously only available for students of her flagship course, 30 Days or Less to Virtual Assistant Success.
The community is an additional $33 per month but includes free WordPress hosting and access to job leads that come through HH’s VA Finder. (Although students should be aware that not all leads are for writers.)
Horkey Handbook has helped countless students realize their dreams of becoming a freelance writer. The course does what it says it will if you put in the effort!
The lessons are easy to understand and are broken down in such a way that it doesn’t get overwhelming at any point. It would have been nice to have some video lessons like in her other courses, but in my opinion, this is only a very small drawback.
My favorite part of the course is easily the module on pitching clients! In my opinion, this is the single most important skill that Gina teaches, and if you follow her instructions (and use the pitch tracker!) you’ll be landing paid work in no time.
Verdict: It’s a legitimate Anywhere & Anytime career.
Want more Info?
If you’re a stay-at-home mom and want to learn more about if freelance writing is a good option for you, you will want to check out our interview with Gina on the subject!
You can also read our interview with Gina Horkey about becoming a virtual assistant. (Did you know that freelance writing is a type of virtual assistant work?) Lastly, you can check out our review of her other course, 30 Days or Less to Virtual Assistant success.
Do you have any questions or comments about this 30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success review? Drop us a line in the comments and we’re happy to help!