Are you having trouble finding the right work-from-home business to start? Are you asking questions like these?
- Who can work from home?
- Can work-from-home be permanent?
- How can I work from home when I want?
- Where are the real work-from-home jobs?
- How do I figure out where to work from home online ?
- Can someone help me with how to work from home with a baby?
If so, you're not alone! The questions above are all frequently searched. That means plenty of other people are also wondering how to find the right work-from-home business opportunities for their lives.
Some of the suggestions out there are, well, a bit far-fetched. For example, while a few of the ideas in this list of 30 possibilities by Shopify are workable, others aren't very viable if you're a mom with young kids. Maybe you can turn your pet into an influencer (not an adventure I'd enter into lightly with an unwilling cat!), sell NFTs, or play video games for a living. But the odds of making real money with any of these aren't good.
Even if you like some of the ideas on this list, you can get scammed instead of finding the right work-from-home business for you. Indeed brings us to this list of five common scams – and there are a lot more that didn't make this list.
Do you think that the options for being a work-at-home mom (or dad) are limited to child care or the latest direct sales ‘MLM’ (multi-level marketing) trend of the moment? These are well-known options, but they aren’t the only ones out there by a long shot!
The truth is, there are many viable options, especially online.
But wading through the possibilities to find the right work-from-home business can be tricky. It’s easy to jump on board the first idea that seems legitimate or marketable. You’ll likely make some money, but will it be sustainable?
So, with these factors and everything else you need to consider, the idea of having your own work-from-home business may sound like an impossible dream. But we can help you sort through the clutter while you're finding the right work-from-home business – the one that will get you happily to your goals.
You can use these four tips to help you find an opportunity suited to your interests, skills, and lifestyle. This will ultimately increase your ability to succeed long term. In other words, finding the right work-from-home business means finding options that you can succeed with.
Tip 1: Having Trouble Finding the Right Work-From-Home Business? Start Dreaming and Believing!
First, and possibly most important, take a moment and allow yourself to dream.
Start thinking ‘‘What if?’’
- What if I could make an extra thousand dollars a month working from home
- What if there's a business that perfectly fits my lifestyle
- What if I can do it while my kids nap or after they're in bed for the night?
- What if I can create a business that uses the things I'm already good at and love doing?
There are people all over the world making it happen. As Gina Horkey of Fully Booked VA says, ‘‘Why not you, why not now?’’ Ask yourself those questions.
Dreaming and believing may not seem like a business strategy, but they are valuable tools for finding the right work-from-home business for you. Once you've given yourself time to think about what a successful business would look like for you, you might ask questions like:
- Could I make money from home as a transcriptionist?
- Are there ways for me to make good money researching, typing, writing, or editing?
- Do I want to be a social media or Pinterest manager, or sell Facebook ads?
- Could I earn a good income doing bookkeeping work or tax preparation?
- Would it be fun and profitable to make and sell gourmet dog treats or take pictures for food bloggers?
Starting to dream and believe in the possibilities will lead you easily to the next step in finding the right work-from-home business for you. And once you have a good idea or two, this list from Entrepreneur can help you make it a thriving reality!
Tip 2. Evaluate Yourself to Find the Right Work-From-Home Business
What's next? Take a moment to evaluate you.
This step can save you wasted time and aggravation.
Maybe you've had several jobs in your life. If so, odds are good at least some of them weren't a good fit. When you take a job to earn a paycheck or start a business because it seems like a good way to earn a little extra, you might land in a career that doesn't consider you and your unique abilities.
For instance, if you don't like math, a tax business isn't likely to be a career that honors your abilities. But if you love social media? Social media management or digital marketing might be perfect for you. Likewise, if grammatical errors leap off the screen at you, proofreading or scoping might suit you perfectly.
If you don’t evaluate yourself, you may end up taking the long way to finding the right work-from-home business. Or, worse, you might never find it at all.
Take the time to evaluate:
- Your skills, education, and abilities
- What you love to do
- The type of work you would do for FREE
- Your hobbies
- What your friends ask you to help them with
- What you loved when you were a kid
- Your short-term and long-term goals
This process doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming. However, taking a little time to think about these things will go a long way toward preparing you for the next step. And if you need more ideas, this article from MarketWatch has 20!
Tip 3: Do Your Research to Prepare for Your Dream Business
Once you've taken the time to evaluate yourself, you're ready to start researching your options. You'll want to avoid get sucked down the internet rabbit hole, clicking here and there, signing up for this or that. That can be costly, in terms of time and money, and might not get you anywhere.
Here's some good news: You’ve come to the right place for information! Anywhere & Anytime Careers has the info you need to streamline your search:
- Find beginner and in-depth reviews on several legitimate work-from-home training courses and programs
- Read interviews with course creators and work-from-home moms (and dads!) who are succeeding due to their training
- Get some great tips for success along the way to finding the right work-from-home business and making it thrive
- Check out a menu of free offers that introduce highly-rated work-from-home training programs (you'll just need to sign up with the course)
- Ready to roll? Our training list has 34 proven and scam-free courses to get you off to a great start!
With these resources for finding the right work-from-home business at your fingertips, you'll learn more about career options, what it's like to do them, how to get the training you'll need – and how to do all this while having the time and space for the rest of your life.
Once you've got a solid idea of what direction you want to go:
- Carefully consider the available options
- Read various reviews and interviews (maybe start right here! =))
- Start following blogs or podcasts related to your top choices
- Once you’ve narrowed it down, join and participate in a few groups. (Facebook has great options!)
If you do your homework first, the next step will be much easier.
Tip 4. Take Bold Action Toward Your Dreams!
After following the first three steps, you’ve probably got a good idea of what you're looking for in a work-from-home business. If there's an idea that won't leave you alone, that's the one to move toward. Remember, you can pivot or change direction entirely later if your first choice doesn't turn out to be all you hoped it would be.
Once you know; act boldly. Don’t put it off. Go for it!
If you don’t have all the knowledge, skills, or materials you need in the beginning, it’s okay. There are many courses and training options available. There are also groups that can help you succeed in your new career.
Once you know what you want to do, try to figure out what obstacles might get in the way Come up with plans to overcome them. Not quite sure what challenges you may face. Inc surveyed existing small business owners to give you a feel.
- If you don’t have the money for courses or training at first, seek out options for free training. The goal is to get started. You can check out some free courses here.
- Do you need equipment or materials for your new business? Start purchasing it, one item at a time if necessary.
- If you need a quiet space for your business but don’t have one, figure out how you can create it. Can you barter for time at a friend's quieter place, or make a space to use when your kids are in school or asleep? Is a co-working space an option?
Conclusion: Finding the Right Work-From Home Business is a Process
Once you’ve taken the time to dream, evaluate, and research, you will be well on your way to finding the right work-from-home business that fits your lifestyle and goals – and is worth working through any obstacles. Moving through these tips consciously will better prepare you to be the mompreneur of a thriving business you love.
And remember – the Anytime and Anywhere Careers team is with you every step of the way – from that dream of work you can do from home without sacrificing your family time on.
What are your thoughts or experiences? Are you still waiting to take the plunge or have you already succeeded in finding the right work-from-home business? Do you have questions about this topic? Type away – let us know how we can help! 🙂
This article is based on the original written by freelance writer Stefanie Williams.