**There may be affiliate links included in the following post which means I may make a small commission if you choose to make a purchase through any of these links. You pay the same either way, so it is a win-win situation! You can read the full disclosure here.**
Would you like to be able to do some proofreading or editing work while the baby is napping or while the kids are doing their homework?
If so, take a look at Scribendi employment opportunities.
Scribendi Review (from an employee’s perspective)
Introduction to Scribendi:
Scribendi is an online editing service, including proofreading and editing of fiction, non-fiction, business documents, providing document revision services to individuals, corporations, NGOs, and government organizations.
Here are some of the plus points and minus points of working for this company:
• Reasonable pay scale according to word count and type of service
• Excellent management support, including resources and style guides
• Company code of ethics keeps editors alert to plagiarism; Scribendi doesn’t write for clients, it edits or proofreads their writing
• Editor website with feedback, resources, etc.
• Because customers can request editors that they are pleased with, it is possible to build good editor-client relationships (These, though anonymous, are highly satisfying)
• Editors are known to clients only by number, providing security and privacy
• Deadline pressure
• High expectations for quality editing; accuracy a must
• Customers can be hard to please and excessive negative feedback can affect an editor’s job security
• Client expectations are spelled out in an order but sometimes may not be clear enough
Though Scribendi hires in-house editors, it is also an ideal, flexible workplace for people with editing skills who want to work where they want, when they want. The company’s telecommute or remote editors can work from home anywhere in the world, select assignments and complete them at their own pace, so long as deadlines are observed.
The company expects very high quality and careful work, and has a loyal customer base that appreciates the professionalism of the operation. To get a job with Scribendi, an editor has to pass a battery of tests. The company invests a lot in employees and editors are regularly evaluated by the management.
Who is Scribendi For?
Scribendi is for people with editing or proof reading skills who would like to work anywhere and anytime depending on their situation. A position with Scribendi is perfect for stay-at-home moms, retired editors, part-time editors or teachers who have time for extra work.
The company keeps its editors professionally well-informed and trained, including issuing guidebooks and specifying preferred reference tools, providing a supportive infrastructure to ensure a quality product across the board. The company provides online training in grammar, editing and proofreading for those who want it.
The company advises editors on which style guides to use and also supplies many helpful resources to the employees. Editors can also chat with other editors to get tips and advice for dealing with certain jobs.
Educational Qualifications and Skills Needed:
Scribendi prefers employees with postgraduate degrees and editing experience. Employment opportunities and applications are outlined on their website. These are some of their requirements:
• A university degree, preferably postgraduate, in a relevant field
• At least three years of experience in editing, writing, document production, or language teaching
• English as editor’s native language
• Excellent reading comprehension skills, and the ability to follow written instructions and work independently
• Fidelity to deadlines
• An average editing/proofreading speed of 1,000-1,500 words per hour
Some Other Requirements:
• Microsoft Word 2010 on a secure PC (not Mac) computer
• Broadband/high-speed Internet access
Scribendi is tops for online editing. The fact that the management is always accessible is a huge plus point. The clients are varied – along with the students trying to improve their term papers there are also published authors and big insurance companies, etc. which makes the work that much more interesting.
VERDICT: It is a legitimate anywhere anytime job.
So if you are interested, go take a look at Scribendi employment opportunities to see if it the type of thing you want to do.
And if you do try Scribendi or have ever tried it, please leave comments on your experience below.