Who needs transcription in this era of technology? The answer: millions of people. Videos, movies, podcasts, seminars, webinars, class lectures, and more contain material their creators want to be visible on search engines. With a remote transcription career, you can help them do just that.
How can you accomplish that? Transcribe the dialogue into written text. Viola! Millions of people can now see what your clients are offering.
So… does a remote transcription career sound more interesting and profitable now? Are you interested, but not sure where to begin?
Our Transcribe Anywhere General Transcription course review is a great place to start. Read on to see if this course is the right choice for you to learn the skills and tools you need to get a well-paid transcription job, or even start your own transcription business.
Name: Transcribe Anywhere – General Transcription: Theory and Practice
Creator: Janet Shaughnessy
Free Resources or Training: Transcription Foundations: Free 7-Lesson Mini-Course
The TA team has added a unit to both courses which will help you learn how to use AI to increase your transcription productivity.
You'll find the unit after passing the final exam. That’s because AI is a tool transcriptionists can use, but it can't replace the skills that you will learn during your training.
Introduction to the Transcribe Anywhere General Transcription Course
Janet Shaughnessy, founder of Transcribe Anywhere, started working from home as a medical transcriptionist in 2007. She added general and legal transcription to her services. Later, she formed her own agency, Zoom Transcription Services. She needed transcriptionists for her new business, but found that even experienced transcriptionists weren't meeting her expectations.
Getting everyone up to speed (and accuracy!) on an individual level became a burden for Janet. So, the first iteration of General Transcription Training: The Zoom Method was born by necessity. Janet sold it as a DVD on Amazon at first. Later, she moved it to a digital download and sold it from her own business website.
The current version of General Transcription: Theory and Practice is based on that original course. But now it's completely revamped, updated, expanded, and installed on a real e-learning platform. It provides everything needed for a complete beginner to obtain the comprehensive training you'll need to excel at general transcription. In addition, Janet also includes the marketing side of how to either land a good job or build your own business.
General Transcription Course in a Nutshell
- It is a self-paced, multimedia online course
- You don't need any previous transcription experience
- This course contains everything you need to know about transcription, starting with the basics
- It provides you with the marketing and business skills needed to build your own business
- Transcribe Anywhere teaches you the skills you'll need if you prefer to get a job
- You can work on it anytime and from anywhere
- You will have the freedom to work full time or part-time
- Transcribe Anywhere gives you the training to start a small business and develop it as your time permits
- It provides you with the tools for a real career that you can fit around the needs of your family
- You can start earning soon after successfully completing the course (though it takes time to build up a big enough client base to achieve a full-time income). You won't have overnight results, but you will have all the tools and tips to help you market your services effectively
- Janet also offers a free mini-course. This gives you an idea of what transcription is and what the work requires. You'll be better able to decide if it's for you before enrolling
- It takes real work and effort
- You need to be able to sit for long periods of time
- It's not a get-rich-quick solution. If that is what you are looking for, you won't find it in this course
Transcribe Anywhere – General Transcription Course Overview
The general transcription course at Transcribe Anywhere is a self-paced online course that teaches the A-Z of general transcription. It includes tools on how to make a remote business out of it (or get a good job if that's your goal). It begins with typing drills and moves on from there.
Much of the information is provided through text lessons. There are also helpful videos that clarify some of the software-related lessons. The quizzes help you make sure you're grasping the material. Reference printouts are included as learning aids, too.
The course also contains information about the transcription industry in general, as well as the software and equipment you need. You'll get a strong grounding in English grammar and punctuation skills, too. There are typing drills and practice dictations (many samples of varied difficulties to give you solid experience). You'll learn the ins and outs of formatting and working with templates. Plus, you'll receive marketing training and other information you'll need to help you start your own online transcription business.
The full course is designed to take between two to four months to complete. However, it's self-paced, so you can spend as much time as you need to build a strong foundation for your general transcription career. If you have previous transcription experience when you begin, you'll likely be able to complete the course more quickly than a novice. That said, beginners can learn what they need here, too.
Are you ready to see the course in more detail? Download the syllabus.
As a Transcribe Anywhere student, you will have lifetime access to the course, all updates, and the private Facebook group.
Want more detail than these screenshots provide? Take this video tour of the course.
Who Is the General Transcription Course at Transcribe Anywhere For?
It's for stay-at-home moms or dads, college students, retirees, or anyone who has the time to work from home and has:
- Above average English language skills
- An eye for detail
- The ability to sit for long periods of time
I believe anyone can do anything if they set their heart and mind to it. But, to be honest, it's going to be a LOT harder for a non-native English speaker to excel as a transcriptionist for English-speaking clients. That's because the learning curve is very steep for anyone for whom English is not their first language. Also, many clients only hire English-language transcriptionists who are native English speakers.
This course is not for people who aren't ready and willing to put in real effort. It's also not a good fit for those who are looking for a get-rich-quick scheme.
The General Transcription Course Training & Resources
The training is presented on a thorough e-learning platform. It consists of plenty of text, transcription style guides, worksheets with answer keys, screencast tutorial demonstrations, video presentations, seven levels of practice dictions with cheat sheets, and quizzes. Janet includes all the tips, tricks, and how-to-do steps she's accumulated over her many years of transcription experience, too.
The training also includes lessons on how to market your skills to get work as an employee or an independent contractor. If you want to build your own transcription business, Janet has you covered there, as well. Graduates of the course pass a final exam that unlocks advanced material and benefits. This aspect of the course makes it more comprehensive than most transcription programs. It's more typical for them to teach the transcription skills, but not the marketing side of building a business.
Student Support for the General Transcription Course
The support for this course is constant and thorough. You can easily get your questions answered via email, Facebook messenger, or in the private student Facebook group. Most student questions are answered almost immediately.
The Facebook group is also an excellent learning tool. The conversation is helpful and lively. Students freely discuss topics, ask questions, and just learn from other members' posts. There is a great deal of support from other students as well as past graduates, who answer questions, cheer students on, and share useful information such as a sale price on transcription software.
Janet Shaughnessy is an active presence in the group and weighs in with answers, advice, or words of encouragement. Janet is also always just an email away if you really need her personal attention, and is very prompt about responding.
Educational Qualifications and Skills Needed
Prior qualifications aren’t important for the General Transcription: Theory and Practice course. Everything you need to know will be taught. Your success will depend on your ability to learn and then act on that learning. As mentioned above, those students with prior experience will likely move through the course faster, but transcription experience is not a prerequisite.
The following skills will make the journey easier:
- Fast and accurate typing
- Proficiency in spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Knowledge of the internet and critical thinking skills (i.e., research)
- Knowledge of the hardware and software required to provide transcription services
- Self-motivation and self-discipline
- A computer with a high-speed internet connection
- Transcription software
- A quality set of headphones
- A foot pedal (optional)
- Microsoft Word or alternative
- A comfortable, ergonomically correct work area
Prices for Transcription Courses at Transcribe Anywhere
Transcribe Anywhere now has three simple pricing packages. These range from certification in general transcription to a comprehensive package that provides certification in both general and legal transcription, extra coaching, and an equipment bundle so that you can get started right away.
All three packages include payment plan options, as well.
Get Certified in General Transcription
- Learn the language basics necessary for transcription
- Find out the how-tos of transcription, view software video tutorials, and practice using TA’s 7-level practice system
- Get lifetime access to the entire course, including all updates to course material and lifetime membership in the Facebook group
- Have direct access to instructor and assistants
- You also get access to a graded final exam, and a certificate upon passing. Graduates earn lifetime membership to the Facebook Grad's Group and inclusion in the Official Graduate Directory. Also included are marketing how-tos and tutorials. Even better, you'll get lifetime access to the Transcriptionist Pro WordPress website theme & tutorials
$797 or enroll in this package for 4 monthly payments of $227.
Get Certified in General and Legal Transcription
- You get everything included in the General Transcription package
- You‘ll also receive the sister course, Legal Transcription: Theory & Practice™
$1297 or enroll in this package for 4 monthly payments of $347.
Get Certified in Both Courses & Fast Track to Success
- You get everything in the Get Certified in General and Legal Transcription package
- You also get equipment to help you along! The Transcription Bundle includes software, headset, and foot pedal
- You’ll have lifetime access to monthly live Q&A sessions with the TA team, plus priority email support
- And you get a professionally designed website in the Transcriptionist Pro theme once you’ve passed your final exam. It’s done-for-you and includes email support from Transcribe Anywhere’s developer
$3997 or enroll in this package for 4 monthly payments of $1047.
How do I upgrade?
If you have already enrolled in the General Transcription course, you can add on Legal Transcription for $500. Just email TA support for the link. You can also add the extras included in the “Fast Track to Success” package for $2700.
Are refunds available on Transcribe Anywhere courses?
There are no refunds. However, Janet does provide the “100% thorough” guarantee. This means that if you find any detail you think should have been included in the course but wasn't, she will add it. This assures that the course stays relevant to every student, and keeps improving.
My Final Opinion
Janet has done transcription for a long time and works hard to put all her knowledge into a course that is well designed and easy to follow. There is a good balance between text, video, quizzes, printouts, etc. and the variety of practice transcripts prepares the students for all types of general transcription (legal and medical transcription are not included). Additionally, the “100% thorough” guarantee assures that the course will continue to grow and evolve to meet students' needs.
Feedback from students is that the support is amazing – it is timely and helpful whether you ask for it in the Facebook group or by email. By the end of the course, you are armed with the skills and knowledge to start a respectable career which allows you to work at times that are convenient for you and the rest of your family.
Verdict: It is definitely a legitimate anywhere and anytime training and career option.
Looking for more info?
If you would like to know more from Janet herself regarding how this career option can work for stay-at-home moms, check out this interview with her.
Not quite sure?
Test drive the Transcription Foundations Mini-Course for free! It will give you a good idea about transcription, and whether Janet’s teaching style is right for you.
Ready to learn?
Already know you want your own transcription business? Then get started on the right foot! Pick the package and payment plan that fits your needs right here.
Did you know?
Janet also has a second course, Legal Transcription: Theory and Practice! Check out our legal transcription interview with Janet, too. You'll learn more about legal transcription and how it differs from her general transcription course. Or read our review of her Legal Transcription course for more details.
So, what do you think? Have you ever done transcription or tried out this course? Feel free to share your experiences. Or do you have any more questions about General Transcription: Theory and Practice? Start asking! We love to help people find the anywhere and anytime careers that are a perfect fit! 🙂