Looking for a Bookkeeper Launch review that gives you the details you need to make the right choice?
Bottom line: Bookkeeper Launch is legit and worth the money, but only you know if it's right for you. That's why we're telling you everything you need to know to make a decision you feel good about.
Why should you consider a bookkeeping career?
This career choice always makes the most profitable small business categories list with typical net profit margins of 18.4%. Let's face it, businesses need bookkeepers no matter how the economy's doing.
Ready to dig into the details on how Bookkeeper Launch 4.0 teaches you to become a freelance bookkeeper and start your own virtual bookkeeper business? Let's go!
Name: Bookkeeper Launch (previously known as Bookkeeper Business Blueprint and then Bookkeeper Business Launch)
Creator: Ben Robinson CPA
Free Resources or Training: A 3-video training where you'll find out if you'll make a great bookkeeper and what you need to know about bookkeeping to make the right choice for you.
What is Bookkeeper Launch?
Bookkeeper Launch (previously Bookkeeper Business Launch) is a 10 week (or go-at-your-own-pace) course that teaches you how to do bookkeeping for small businesses even if you don't know the first thing about bookkeeping or running a business.
It's the course Ben Robinson always dreamed of finding when he was in the trenches running his own bookkeeping business.
Ben Robinson the creator of Bookkeeper Launch has been training people to become bookkeepers for over 21 years. As a CPA with his own accounting firm, he struggled to find quality bookkeepers (so he learned to train them himself).
He discovered that specific traits are even more important than bookkeeping skills or experience. You can learn how to do bookkeeping, but what makes a great bookkeeper is much bigger than that. His course, Bookkeeper Launch, is now in its fourth version and Ben has trained over 8,000 people (and counting!) for careers in bookkeeping working from home.
For the latest update, Ben has brought a team of teachers on board who are all working bookkeepers and graduates of the BL course. Curriculum Manager Heidi Ryder led the development of the updated program. Alyssa Lang, “The Workflow Queen,” teaches Setup and Transactions. Elizabeth Olsen covers Cleanup and has built her business almost entirely on this service. Ben Day provides instruction for Statements, Interpret and Advise, and Conversations to Close with many personal details.
Bookkeeper Launch Course in a Nutshell
Is Bookkeeper Launch Worth It?
- Learn bookkeeping from experienced pros who know how to teach beginners.
- Get the necessary skills you need to run a successful bookkeeping business (like finding great clients without selling).
- Get all the support you need when you have questions or need coaching.
- Take the course in 10 weeks or at your own pace (with lifetime access and support).
- Use the ready-made systems and templates to run your new business easier.
- It's not free or cheap.
- You have to put in the work, stick with it, and ask for help when you need it.
Bookkeeper Launch Overview
This bookkeeping course has 6 main sections (plus 2 additional “missions”) and bonuses, hacks, tips, and tons of support. If you think bookkeeping skills are the only thing you'll get from this course, think again. You'll also learn how to set up your new business, grow it at a pace that fits you, and find the right balance for your work and family time.
- The 6 main sections teach you the bookkeeping skills you need to attract great clients.
- The 2 missions let you test drive your new skills with real-life examples. These missions will build your confidence and show you what to expect from everyday bookkeeping clients.
- The bonuses, hacks, and tips give you the wisdom learned from years of bookkeeping experience in the form of processes, templates, and checklists.
- And finally the support picks you up when you need it with live sessions with bookkeeping and legal experts.
The lessons are broken up into fifteen-day segments.
In the first module, you'll learn the foundations of bookkeeping, how successful bookkeepers view their clients, services, and business growth. From there, you'll work on how to set up your business systems, how to attract the right clients, and the learning the must-have services clients need.
The course includes quizzes, unit tests, and two final exams. One final exam is on book knowledge, and the other is practical application.
You do not have to take any of the quizzes, tests, or exams, but if you pass them at 80% or above, you will earn a Certificate of Completion for your website, LinkedIn profile, and social media pages. The Certificate is not just an image anyone can copy and paste onto their site. It is verified by a third party, Credly, and it is clickable. Anyone can click on it and get relevant information.
There are 3 versions of Ben Robinson’s Bookkeeper Launch:
- Bookkeeper Launch Pro: the full course
- Bookkeeper Launch Premier: the full course & group coaching
- Bookkeeper Launch Team: the full course, group coaching & everything you need to operate a fully scaled online bookkeeping business
Who is Bookkeeper Launch for?
Bookkeeper Launch is for you if:
- You're willing to put in the effort to learn new skills (bookkeeping, software, and running a business for example).
- You're an honest, trustworthy person who likes serving others and helping small business owners.
- You want more freedom and flexibility in your schedule.
Wondering if these qualities will make or break your bookkeeping career? Let's clear up a few myths:
- Introverts and extroverts both make great bookkeepers.
- Advanced math skills are not required to be an excellent bookkeeper.
- Making money and finding great clients as a bookkeeper is NEVER about being salesy.
What Do the Bookkeeper Launch Lessons Look Like?
The course has video lessons, exercises, and hands-on projects to practice. Each video lesson has an accompanying transcript, audio, and captions. The lessons also include downloadable resources below the video such as an Excel spreadsheet or a particular form for an exercise.
Ben and his team teach the material in a very simple and clear manner.
First, the instructor explains a procedure, then he shows you how to do it, and finally, you have the opportunity to practice the skill yourself and reinforce your learning.
Ben uses plenty of stories and comparisons, and topics are often presented in more than one way, making them easier to grasp.
What's Inside the Bookkeeper Launch Course
Bookkeeper Launch has six main sections and two additional missions. Let's quickly walk through what you'll learn and do (because as you learn new skills, you gotta practice them).
The Go section (Days 1-15) gets you started on the right foot. You'll learn the basics of bookkeeping and the mindset of a successful bookkeeper with these units:
- Foundations (Foundational bookkeeping principles)
- Leader U (A different way of thinking about yourself, your business, and bookkeeping)
- Money U (Setting yourself up for success and thinking about money differently)
The Ignition section (Days 16-30) guides you through the essential bookkeeping foundational skills:
- Setup (Navigating QuickBooks Online, cloud-based bookkeeping software)
- Transactions (Contains 116 lessons, plus additional exercises and an answer key!)
- Yakkity Yak (The non-salesy way to find the right clients for your new bookkeeping business)
- Lifestyle (Building a business that supports the life you want)
In Liftoff (Days 31-45), you learn exactly what you'll do for your clients as a professional bookkeeper, such as:
- Transactions Projects (Closing Project and Final Project to test your understanding of transactions)
- Statements (Preparing statements and delivering to clients)
- Traditional Networking (What it is and how to do it even if you're a beginner)
- Irresistible Selling Statement (What it is, why you need it, and how to create your own)
Next up is Ascent (Days 46-60). In this section, you test your knowledge and learn advanced skills to find your first clients.
- Cleanup (An upgraded unit on how to clean up a new client’s books)
- Final Exams (book knowledge and practical application)
- Online Networking (Another new unit on how to use your time online to help you market your business)
- Conversation to Close (How to turn leads into paying clients without being salesy at all)
The Acceleration section (Days 61-75) gives you practical systems you can use right away to get your bookkeeping career started fast.
- Get Software Certified (A combination pep talk/ explanation of why this is an important step to take)
- Templates (A library of customizable templates so you’ll never have to “start off with a blank piece of paper”)
- Processes and Checklists (Another library of customizable templates for the processes you’ll need as a bookkeeper to get more done in less time)
- Your Money (Ben discusses several money truths and tactics to help you manage your new income)
Orbit (Days 76-90) is the final section in the main course where you set up your new official bookkeeping business.
- Tools & Tech (Resources to get the job done faster and better, plus tips on when less is more)
- Setup 7 (The seven essential steps to setting up your bookkeeping business, plus an interview with a lawyer)
- Website and Social Media Marketing (This new unit explores how much to do, when to do it, and the Website Challenge)
Your next step is Mission 1: Serving 1st Client for 2 Months. These mission units will help you grow your new business while serving your first client in more specialized ways.
- Interpret & Advise (This freshly-overhauled section gives you deeper insight on explaining the statements and becoming a trusted advisor to your clients)
- Spreadsheets (Everyone needs to know the basics!)
- Prospect Follow-Up System (A method to gather and enter information on prospective clients, then follow up with the ones who need you most)
Mission 2: Serving 3+ Clients Now that you have a growing client list, some ways to help your business prosper.
- Email Outreach (Learning which potential clients are the best fit for your business)
- Referral Partners (How to use referral partner marketing effectively)
- Niche Power (Why specializing in a particular industry and becoming an expert pays richly, and how to do it)
Resources and Bonuses: the Extras
The course really never stops evolving. Ben Robinson and his team spend a ton of time with their students. Student feedback plays a major part in keeping you on track to finish the course, get clients, and ease you through those awkward moments as a new bookkeeper.
- My Notes (Your notes from all topics in one place – searchable and exportable into Word)
- Live Q & A Recordings (View past Weekly Q & As that go as far back as 2015!)
- Premier Coaching (includes 8 bonus group coaching sessions followed by open mic sessions – only unlocked for Premier students)
- Recommended Reading (Additional information to hone your skills)
- Hacks & Facts (Round table discussions with successful former course members)
- Profit Maximizers (Ways to add more value for your clients while increasing your profit)
- LinkedIn (How to use LinkedIn to effectively market your business to your ideal clients)
- 1099 Blitz (Everything you need to know to help your clients get their 1099s filed properly and on time)
- Breakthrough Marketing (Additional marketing lessons to help attract clients, what to do when you meet with a potential client, sales funnels, ads, etc – only unlocked for Premier students)
5 Stars to Measure Student Success
As a bookkeeping student, Ben Robinson knows you need help staying on track. That's why there's a recommended study track, a 90-day success plan, and 5 Stars to help keep you motivated and moving forward. Each star represents a different milestone that is necessary to becoming a successful bookkeeper.
- Complete the Course (Complete all lessons through Day 90)
- Bookkeeper Launch Certificate of Completion (Pass all parts of the Knowledge and Practical final exams)
- Software Certificate (Submit your certification in any bookkeeping software program)
- Launch Your Business (Complete the Setup 7 checklist to get your business up and running)
- First Client (Tell Bookkeeper Launch when you have your first client)
And when you complete all 5 Stars, you'll get advanced bonus content too.
Is Bookkeeper Launch Legit: What Kind of Support Do You Get?
Ben Robinson’s bookkeeping course gives you:
- unlimited email support
- weekly live question and answer sessions,
- a private, no advertisement, no distraction community on Circle (previously on Facebook)
But let one of his bookkeeping students tell you what she thinks of the support:
“You will always be a student of Bookkeeper Launch, so you can always take part in the Facebook group, you can always take part in the weekly Q&A’s, and you can always email Ben’s team for support. And you always have the friends you have made through the program to help and support you along the way.”
“They can go over your website for you, they will look at any direct mail piece you might want to send out, they will go over anything that is in the training that you might have questions about and anything else bookkeeping related.”Amy McLaughry
Bookkeeper Launch graduate and Professional Bookkeeper
The Different Q&A Sessions You Get
Bookkeeper Launch offers two weekly Q & A sessions.
Ask any question about the course in live question and answer sessions or watch any of the recorded replays.
These sessions feature three students who each have one-on-one conversations with their SST (Student Support Team) to find answers to their situation and get them back in action.
Legal Lunch Q&A Sessions
These monthly Q&As with lawyers help Bookkeeper Launch students get answers to important legal questions.
Student Success Team Sessions
The Student Success Team (SST) has daily office hours (Monday through Friday, 9-5 EST) for students who are working with clients and have a challenge needing additional help. They can work one-on-one with a team member to deal with the challenge.
Can I Start a Bookkeeping Business with No Experience?
After interviewing 7 Bookkeeper Launch students (plus listened to plenty of others while reviewing this bookkeeping course since its debut so many years ago), this is what I've noticed:
According to Ben, less than 10% of students have bookkeeping experience when they start the course. Even when graduates have some basic bookkeeping experience, they usually know very little about running a business, finding clients, and learning how to advise their future clients. Those are the skills Ben Robinson and his team teach you (plus the important bookkeeping skills too).
Plenty of BL graduates came in with no bookkeeping experience.
“Before I found Bookkeeper Business Launch (now called Bookkeeper Launch) I was working as a Virtual Assistant, way undervaluing my services, and doing some other odd and end jobs….My only experience was doing my own books, poorly, and I helped with my dad's business books when I was a teenager.”Callie Sitek
BL graduate and Pro Bookkeeper
Bookkeeper Launch Reviews on Reddit
Just because we've chatted with and interviewed a bunch of course graduates doesn't make us know-it-alls. We looked all over the internet for valid BL reviews. And we found some very interesting conversations about Bookkeeper Launch on Reddit.
Especially this one:
Don't you just love it when people are so generous? We do!
Other Bookkeeper Launch Reviews
We're not the only place you can find reviews for this course. We found plenty of them at the Better Business Bureau. We've already interviewed plenty of graduates. And these reviews are very similar to what we keep hearing from course members.
In the review section, we couldn't find any less than stellar reviews. Here are a few of them:
Bookkeeper Launch Complaints
We did find some Bookkeeper Launch complaints at the Better Business Bureau (and personally they just convinced us even more how committed BL is to your success. But we think you should read them for yourself. Here's one:
Bookkeeper.com responded and it matches 100% what other graduates have told us over the years. They go above and beyond to help you succeed. If you're willing to do the work, you'll have a new career that pays well.
How Much Does Bookkeeper Launch Cost?
You can pay for the course all at once or spread it out over 12 months. You've got a 30-day money-back guarantee, no questions asked. Active and retired military (and their spouses) get a special 30% discount.
Bookkeeper Launch Pro: The Full Course
You've got 2 choices for payment:
- 12 Payments of $249
- Save $489 and pay in full: $2499
Bookkeeper Launch Premier: The Full Course + Group Coaching
Choose either option and pay:
- 12 Payments of $299
- Save $589 and pay in full: $2,999
Find out if you’ll make a great bookkeeper with these 3 free trainings. This high-paying profession isn’t for everyone. Is it right for you?
So, Is Bookkeeper Launch Good?
I started reviewing this course back in 2015 when it was still Bookkeeper Business Academy. I've lost count of how many times I've re-reviewed Bookkeeper Launch.
Bottom line: each time, it gets better (and I've checked out and reviewed a TON of courses over the years). These guys are on a mission to create the best bookkeeper business training online.
You get access to all the new improvements because of your lifetime access and support too.
If you want to learn bookkeeping in 10 weeks, you could do it with another course. BUT if you want to learn to run a successful bookkeeping business, how to find the right clients for you, create a business that fits your lifestyle, and get all the support you need along the way, Bookkeeper Launch is my only recommendation for you.
Or are you ready to get started? Become part of the Bookkeeper Launch family now.
Still got a question about Ben Robinson’s course that we didn't answer in this Bookkeeper Launch review? Big or small, ask them all below. Chances are someone else probably does too! So go ahead and ask it 😉
I've got access to alI the brilliant bookkeeping minds on the team, so I'm happy to reach out to them or course graduates, and get you some answers.