Looking for a Bookkeeper Launch review that gives you enough details to make a good decision?
Bottom line: Bookkeeper Launch is legit and worth the money. You're the only person who knows if it's for you, so here are the details you need.
You probably already know bookkeeping is a solid career choice (and that it usually makes the most profitable small business categories list with typical net profit margins of 18.4%). Businesses of all sizes need bookkeepers, no matter how the economy's doing.
Bookkeeper Launch 4.0 will walk you through the transformation from complete beginner to professional bookkeeper – with the must-have skills clients want.
Name: Bookkeeper Launch (previously known as Bookkeeper Business Blueprint and then Bookkeeper Business Launch)
Creator: Ben Robinson CPA
Free Resources or Training: A 3-video training where you'll find out if you'll make a great bookkeeper. You'll also discover what you need to know about bookkeeping to make the right choice for you.
What Is Bookkeeper Launch and Why Should You Care?
Bookkeeper Launch (previously Bookkeeper Business Launch) is a 10-week (or go-at-your-own-pace) course that teaches you how to do bookkeeping for small businesses even if you don't know the first thing about bookkeeping or running a business.
Ben Robinson, the creator of Bookkeeper Launch, has been training people to become bookkeepers for over 21 years. As a CPA with his own accounting firm, he struggled to find quality bookkeepers (so he learned to train them himself). To learn more about Ben and bookkeeping, read my interview with him.
He discovered that specific traits are even more important than bookkeeping skills or experience. You can learn how to do bookkeeping, but what makes a great bookkeeper is much bigger than that. His course, Bookkeeper Launch, is now in its fourth version and Ben has trained over 15,000 people (and counting!) for careers in bookkeeping working from home.
It's the course Ben Robinson always dreamed of finding when he was in the trenches running his own bookkeeping business.
Additionally, for the latest update, Ben has brought a team of teachers on board who are all working bookkeepers and graduates of the BL course. Curriculum Manager Heidi Ryder led the development of the updated program. Alyssa Lang, “The Workflow Queen,” teaches Setup and Transactions. Elizabeth Olsen covers Cleanup and has built her business almost entirely on this service. And Ben Day provides instruction for Statements, Interpret and Advise, and Conversations to Close with many personal details.
Bookkeeper Launch Review: Course in a Nutshell
Is Bookkeeper Launch Worth It?
- Learn bookkeeping from experienced pros who know how to teach beginners.
- Get the necessary skills you need to run a successful bookkeeping business (like finding great clients without selling).
- Get all the support you need when you have questions or need coaching.
- Take the course in 10 weeks or at your own pace (with lifetime access and support).
- Use the ready-made systems and templates to make starting and running your new business easier.
- It's not free or cheap.
- You have to put in the work, stick with it, and ask for help when you need it.
Bookkeeper Launch Course Overview
This bookkeeping course has 6 main sections (plus 2 additional “missions”) and bonuses, hacks, tips, and tons of support. So, if you think bookkeeping skills are the only thing you'll get from this course, this Bookkeeper Launch review might open your eyes to many new possibilities. With this course, you'll also learn some excellent study hacks, how to set up your new business, grow it at a pace that fits you with clients you love, and find the right balance for your work and family time.
How the course is set up:
- The 6 main sections teach you the bookkeeping skills you need to attract great clients.
- The 2 additional missions let you test-drive your new skills with real-life examples. Here you will build your confidence and learn what to expect from everyday bookkeeping clients.
- You also get bonuses, hacks, and tips that give you the wisdom learned from years of bookkeeping experience in the form of processes, templates, and checklists.
- And finally, the support picks you up when you need it with weekly live coaching sessions, and opportunities to connect with bookkeeping and legal experts.
The lessons are broken up into fifteen-day segments, but you don't have to do it that quickly. That's because everything is designed to allow you to take the time you need. My Bookkeeper Launch review breaks down these segments so you have a good idea of what to expect before you buy the course.
In the first module, you'll learn the foundations of bookkeeping; how successful bookkeepers view their clients; services you can offer; and business growth. Once you've mastered that, you'll work on how to set up your business systems, how to attract the right clients, and the learning the must-have services clients need.
Bookkeeper Launch also includes quizzes, unit tests, and two final exams. One final exam is on book knowledge, and the other is on practical application.
You do not have to take any of the quizzes, tests, or exams, but if you pass them at 80% or above, you will earn a badge from the Digital Bookkeepers Association (DBA – a professional organization dedicated to upholding the highest standards in bookkeeping) for your website, LinkedIn profile, and social media pages. This badge is not just an image anyone can copy and paste onto their site. It is verified by a third party, Credly, and is clickable with a specific code. This means that anyone can click on it and get relevant information. It's also a great way to let prospective clients know you're serious about providing excellent bookkeeping services.
There are 3 versions of Ben Robinson’s Bookkeeper Launch:
- Bookkeeper Launch Pro: the full course
- Bookkeeper Launch Premier: the full course plus group coaching sessions
- Bookkeeper Launch Team: the full course, group coaching & everything you need to operate a fully scaled online bookkeeping business
This Bookkeeper Launch review focuses primarily on Bookkeeper Launch Pro. I also note features that are unlocked only for Bookkeeper Launch Premiere and above.
Who is Bookkeeper Launch for?
Bookkeeper Launch is for you if:
- You're willing to put in the effort to learn new skills (bookkeeping, software, and running a business for example).
- You're an honest, trustworthy person who likes serving others and helping small business owners.
- You want more freedom and flexibility in your schedule.
Wondering if these qualities will make or break your bookkeeping career? My Bookkeeper Launch review can help clear up a few myths:
- Introverts and extroverts both make great bookkeepers, so if you've heard that you need to be one or the other, you can let go of that idea.
- Advanced math skills are not required to be an excellent bookkeeper. Of course, if you hated math, you probably wouldn't be reading this review.
- Making money and finding great clients as a bookkeeper is NEVER about being salesy. You'll learn solid, low-cost (or even free!), organic ways of making connections that can lead to great clients.
What Do the Bookkeeper Launch Lessons Look Like?
The course has video lessons, exercises, and hands-on projects to practice. Each video lesson also has an accompanying transcript, audio, and captions. The lessons also include downloadable resources below the video such as an Excel spreadsheet or a particular form for an exercise.
Ben and his team teach the material in a very simple and clear manner.
First, the instructor explains a procedure. Then they show you how to do it. Finally, you have the opportunity to practice the skill yourself and reinforce your learning.
Ben also uses plenty of stories and comparisons, and topics are often presented in more than one way, making them easier to grasp.
What's Inside the Bookkeeper Launch Course
Bookkeeper Launch has six main sections and two additional missions. Let's quickly walk through what you'll learn and do (because as you learn new skills, you gotta practice them).
The Go section (Days 1-15)
This section gets you started on the right foot. You'll learn the basics of bookkeeping. You'll also build the mindset of a successful bookkeeper with these units:
- Foundations (Foundational bookkeeping principles)
- Leader U (A different way of thinking about yourself, your business, and bookkeeping)
- Money U (Setting yourself up for success and thinking about money differently)
The Ignition section (Days 16-30)
This important part of the course guides you through the essential bookkeeping foundational skills:
- Setup (Navigating QuickBooks Online, cloud-based bookkeeping software)
- Transactions (Contains 116 lessons, plus additional exercises and an answer key!)
- Yakkity Yak (The non-salesy way to find the right clients for your new bookkeeping business)
- Lifestyle (Building a business that supports the life you want)
Liftoff (Days 31-45)
Here, you learn exactly what you'll do for your clients as a professional bookkeeper, such as:
- Transactions Projects (Closing Project and Final Project to test your understanding of transactions)
- Statements (Preparing statements and delivering to clients)
- Traditional Networking (What it is and how to do it even if you're a beginner)
- Irresistible Selling Statement (What it is, why you need it, and how to create your own)
Ascent (Days 46-60)
In this section, you test your knowledge and learn advanced skills to find your first clients.
- Cleanup (An upgraded unit on how to clean up a new client’s books)
- Final Exams (book knowledge and practical application)
- Online Networking (Another new unit on how to use your time online to help you market your business)
- Conversation to Close (How to turn leads into paying clients without being salesy at all)
Acceleration (Days 61-75)
Bookkeeper Launch gives you practical systems you can use right away to get your bookkeeping career started fast.
- Get Software Certified (A combination pep talk/ explanation of why this is an important step to take)
- Templates (A library of customizable templates so you’ll never have to “start off with a blank piece of paper”)
- Processes and Checklists (Another library of customizable templates for the processes you’ll need as a bookkeeper to get more done in less time)
- Your Money (Ben discusses several money truths and tactics to help you manage your new income)
Orbit (Days 76-90)
This is the final section in the main course where you set up your new official bookkeeping business.
- Tools & Tech (Resources to get the job done faster and better, plus tips on when less is more)
- Setup 7 (The seven essential steps to setting up your bookkeeping business, plus an interview with a lawyer)
- Website and Social Media Marketing (This new unit explores how much to do, when to do it, and the Website Challenge)
Mission 1: Serving Your 1st Client for 2 Months
These mission units will help you grow your new business while serving your first client in more specialized ways.
- Interpret & Advise (This freshly-overhauled section gives you deeper insight on explaining the statements and becoming a trusted advisor to your clients)
- Spreadsheets (Everyone needs to know the basics!)
- Prospect Follow-Up System (A method to gather and enter information on prospective clients, then follow up with the ones who need you most)
Mission 2: Serving 3+ Clients
Now that you have a growing client list, some ways to help your business prosper.
- Email Outreach (Learning which potential clients are the best fit for your business)
- Referral Partners (How to use referral partner marketing effectively)
- Niche Power (Why specializing in a particular industry and becoming an expert pays richly, and how to do it)
Resources and Bonuses: the Bookkeeper Launch Extras
This is a course that really never stops evolving. That's because Ben Robinson and his team spend a great deal of time with their students. Student feedback also plays a major part in keeping you on track to finish the course, getting clients, and easing you through those awkward moments as a new bookkeeper. Even more, Ben and the team use student feedback to improve the course (which is why I've done so many Bookkeeper Launch reviews).
- My Notes (Your notes from all topics in one place – searchable and exportable into Word)
- Live Q & A Recordings (View past Weekly Q & As that go as far back as 2015!)
- Weekly Live Zoom Coaching Calls (These have replaced the old Live Q&A calls).
- Premier Coaching (includes 8 bonus group coaching sessions followed by open mic sessions – only unlocked for Bookkeeper Launch Premier students)
- Recommended Reading (Additional information to hone your skills)
- Hacks & Facts (Round table discussions with successful former course members)
- Profit Maximizers (Ways to add more value for your clients while increasing your profit)
- LinkedIn (How to use LinkedIn to effectively market your business to your ideal clients)
- 1099 Blitz (Everything you need to know to help your clients get their 1099s filed properly and on time)
- Breakthrough Marketing (Additional marketing lessons to help attract clients, what to do when you meet with a potential client, sales funnels, ads, etc – only unlocked for Bookkeeper Launch Premier students)
5 Stars to Measure Student Success
Ben Robinson knows bookkeeping students like you might need help staying on course. That's why there's a recommended study track, a 90-day success plan, and 5 Stars to help keep you motivated and moving forward. Each star represents a different milestone that is necessary to becoming a successful bookkeeper.
- Complete the Course (Complete all lessons through Day 90)
- Bookkeeper Launch Certificate of Completion (Pass all parts of the Knowledge and Practical final exams)
- Software Certificate (Submit your certification in any bookkeeping software program)
- Launch Your Business (Complete the Setup 7 checklist to get your business up and running)
- First Client (Tell Bookkeeper Launch when you have your first client)
And when you complete all 5 Stars, you'll get advanced bonus content too.
Is Bookkeeper Launch Legit: What Kind of Support Do You Get?
Ben Robinson’s bookkeeping course gives you:
- unlimited email support
- weekly live Zoom Coaching Calls
- a private, no advertisement, no distraction community on Facebook
But let one of his bookkeeping students tell you what she thinks of the support:
“You will always be a student of Bookkeeper Launch, so you can always take part in the Facebook group, you can always take part in the weekly Q&A’s, and you can always email Ben’s team for support. And you always have the friends you have made through the program to help and support you along the way.”
“They can go over your website for you, they will look at any direct mail piece you might want to send out, they will go over anything that is in the training that you might have questions about and anything else bookkeeping related.”Amy McLaughry
Bookkeeper Launch graduate and Professional Bookkeeper
The Different Q&A Sessions You Get
Bookkeeper Launch has made some exciting changes to their weekly Client and Course Calls! They’re now conducting these as Zoom Coaching Calls, rather than their former Q&A webinars. Their goal is to provide a more personalized, interactive experience for every participant.
The Coaching Calls offer students the chance to dive deeper into specific topics with more “one-on-one” style guidance. They will also allow for more opportunities to connect with like-minded individuals and build a strong community.
This is one more example of Ben Robinson’s commitment to bringing students better and better course experiences.
Bookkeeper Launch offers two weekly Q & A sessions.
Ask any question about the course in live question and answer sessions. You can also go back into the archives and watch any of the recorded replays.
Each of these sessions feature three students who each have one-on-one conversations with their SST (Student Support Team) to find answers to their situation and get them back in action.
Legal Lunch Q&A Sessions
These monthly Q&As with lawyers help Bookkeeper Launch students get answers to important legal questions.
Student Success Team Sessions
The Student Success Team (SST) has daily office hours (Monday through Friday, 9-5 EST) for students who are working with clients and have a challenge needing additional help. They can work one-on-one with a team member to deal with the challenge.
Can I Start a Bookkeeping Business with No Experience?
After interviewing 7 Bookkeeper Launch students (plus listening to plenty of others while preparing my many Bookkeeper Launch reviews since it debuted so many years ago), this is what I've noticed:
According to Ben, fewer than 10% of students have bookkeeping experience when they start the course. Even when graduates have some basic bookkeeping experience, they usually know very little about running a business, finding clients, and learning how to advise their future clients. Those are the skills Ben Robinson and his team teach you (plus the important bookkeeping skills too).
Plenty of BL graduates came in with no bookkeeping experience.
“Before I found Bookkeeper Business Launch (now called Bookkeeper Launch) I was working as a Virtual Assistant, way undervaluing my services, and doing some other odd and end jobs….My only experience was doing my own books, poorly, and I helped with my dad's business books when I was a teenager.”Callie Sitek
BL graduate and Pro Bookkeeper
Bookkeeper Launch Reviews on Reddit
I've chatted with and interviewed a bunch of course graduates, but that doesn't mean I know everything. So, I looked all over the internet for valid BL reviews. And I found some very interesting conversations about Bookkeeper Launch on Reddit.
Especially this one:
Don't you just love it when people are so generous? I do!
Other Bookkeeper Launch Reviews
This isn't the only place you can find reviews for this course. I also found plenty of them at the Better Business Bureau. I've also interviewed many Bookkeeper Launch graduates. And these reviews are very similar to what I keep hearing from course members.
In the review section, I couldn't find any less-than-stellar reviews. Here are a few of them:
Bookkeeper Launch Complaints
I did find some Bookkeeper Launch complaints at the Better Business Bureau (and personally they just convinced mw even more how committed BL is to your success. But I think you should read them for yourself. Here's one:
Bookkeepers.com responded and it matches 100% what other graduates have told me over the years. They go above and beyond to help you succeed. If you're willing to do the work, you'll have a new career that pays well.
How Much Does Bookkeeper Launch Cost?
You can pay for the course all at once or spread it out over 12 months. Either way, you've got a 30-day money-back guarantee, no questions asked. Also, active and retired military (and their spouses) get a special 30% discount.
Bookkeeper Launch Pro: The Full Course
You've got 2 choices for payment:
- 12 Payments of $249
- Save $489 and pay in full: $2499
Bookkeeper Launch Premier: The Full Course + Group Coaching
Choose either option and pay:
- 12 Payments of $299
- Save $589 and pay in full: $2,999
Find out if you’ll make a great bookkeeper with these 3 free trainings. This high-paying profession isn’t for everyone. Is it right for you?
So, Is Bookkeeper Launch Good?
I started reviewing this course back in 2015 when it was still Bookkeeper Business Blueprint. I've lost count of how many times I've re-reviewed Bookkeeper Launch.
Bottom line: each time, it gets better (and I've checked out and reviewed a TON of courses over the years). These guys are on a mission to create the best bookkeeper business training online.
You get access to all the new improvements because of your lifetime access and support too.
If you want to learn bookkeeping in 10 weeks, you could do it with another course. BUT if you want to learn to run a successful bookkeeping business, how to find the right clients for you, create a business that fits your lifestyle, and get all the support you need along the way, Bookkeeper Launch is my only recommendation for you.
Or are you ready to get started? Become part of the Bookkeeper Launch family now.
Have Questions About this?
Still got a question about Ben Robinson’s course that I didn't answer in this Bookkeeper Launch review? Chances are someone else probably does too! Big or small, ask them all below. If I can't answer, I'll contact Ben and his team. So go ahead and ask it 😉
I've got access to all the brilliant bookkeeping minds on the team, so I'm happy to reach out to them or course graduates and get you some answers.